Wednesday, February 9, 2011

24 weeks

I had my first appointment with the midwife who will be seeing me throughout the pregnancy and birth.
See, the public hospital here has a program, in which low risk women can have their pregnancy completely cared for by a group of midwives, and one specifically allocated to her. It also means you have the opportunity to labour in the the Birth Centre.
In this case, the Birth Centre is across the hall from the regular birth suites, which means that medical help/intervention is right on hand if the need arises!

I had a tour of one of the Birthing Suites today, and I am so excited! The whole atmosphere is so relaxing and homey! Its a stark contrast from the very obvious "your in a hospital" statement that the normal birth suites offer!
Don't get me wrong! I don't have a problem with the regular birth suites. I had Bronte there quite happily! However, these new birth centre suites are in a league of their own.

Picture a hotel room - dark cupboards line the walls, a little kitchenette, double bed, and a huge round bath! Add the mood lighting and this place is beautiful!

Anyway, I think the midwife that has been allocated to me is VERY pro water births...that'll be interesting!
Before today, if you'd asked me what i thought of them, I'd have said Yuk! But, you know, i dont actually think they're as gross as i thought they were...they dont deliver the placenta in the water, and i can imagine the water would be quite an effective pain relief during the delivery.
No, I'm not putting my hand up for a water birth - simply pondering how different this labour could potentially be to the other 3. And all because of the room!

No comments:

Post a Comment